ABC's, 123's, and PE! Speak-Up for Physical Education in Schools!
When it comes to improving health and reversing the childhood obesity epidemic, the research is clear on physical activity… kids need to move more! That's exactly what the Fitness Integrated with Teaching (FIT) Kids Act will help do. But we need the support of more Members of Congress to move the bill. Will you ask your legislators to co-sponsor the FIT Kids Act today to show their support for regular, quality physical education in schools?
The Institute of Medicine recently released a report that reinforced the evidence and need for increasing physical education and activity throughout the school day. The FIT Kids Act would address several of the IOM’s recommendations to achieve those goals by:
• Helping schools implement programs to support evidenced-based physical education, activity, and fitness, and nutrition by promoting activities that increase and enable active student participation.
• Authorizing grants to states to develop or enhance data collection systems so local leaders and parents have the information they need to improve physical education and activity within their schools and communities.
• Supporting professional development for health and physical education teachers and principals to boost students’ ability to learn, and to promote healthy lifestyles and physical activity.
• Including opportunities for parents and guardians to support their children in leading a healthy and active life.
• Providing assistance to schools to provide equal physical activity opportunities for students with disabilities.