Nearly one in three American adults has high blood pressure, and more than half of them don’t have it under control.
The newest edition of CDC Vital Signs focuses on uncontrolled high blood pressure and the numerous opportunities to treat this serious health risk.
Key points of the CDC Vital Signs report on uncontrolled high blood pressure include:
• About 67 million adults have high blood pressure.
• More than half (36 million) have uncontrolled high blood pressure.
• Nearly 22 million know they have high blood pressure, but still don’t have it under control.
• 16 million take medicines, but still don’t have their high blood pressure under control.
• High blood pressure is a major risk factor of heart disease and stroke, two of the nation’s leading causes of death.