Recently, we shared with you information about some initiatives we are working on regarding the Smart Snacks policy within our state education system. We need your help!
The South Carolina Board of Education (SBE) is accepting public comments regarding zero fundraising exemptions until 5pm on November 24. We are asking advocates to send written comments urging the SBE to support ZERO fundraising exemptions during the school day. Below are talking points and instructions for where to send your comments.
All comments should be addressed to Dr. Juanita Bowens-Seabrook, email@example.com , Office of Nutrition Programs, SC Department of Education. Additionally, we’d like to ask you to include your South Carolina Board of Education representative. Their contact information can be found here or below. Please let Kim Chidester know when you have taken action.
Here are some talking points to help you craft your message:
- Healthy fundraisers are good for kids’ health.
- Parents support healthy food in schools.
- The board is responsible for ensuring that students are able to perform at their best academically, which includes ensuring a healthy learning environment. Healthy kids are better students, so there should be no exceptions for fundraisers.
- Students may need time to adjust to healthier options, but they will, and there are examples of schools that have already done this successfully. The board should base its decision on the best interest of students, and allowing zero exemptions for fundraisers is what is best for children’s health.
- Three out of four parents in South Carolina say that all food in schools should be healthy. Just like schools follow nutrition standards for meals and snacks, they should also follow them for fundraisers so that students have a consistent message from the classroom to the cafeteria throughout the school day. This reinforces the healthy habits that parents are trying to instill at home. We will not undermine parents’ efforts to raise healthy children.
- Students need to be physically active and eat nutritious foods to maintain good health. This cannot be achieved by physical activity alone. Kids spend more time in school than anywhere else outside of their homes and consume up to half of their daily calories during the school day. The food available to students at school through fundraisers, meals, and snacks play a major role in their overall health.
Here is the contact information for the South Carolina Board of Education:
1. Mr. Barry Bolen, Chair: 11th Circuit (Edgefield, Lexington, McCormick, Saluda)
133 Congaree Park Dr, West Columbia, 29169
2. Dr. Traci Young Cooper, Chair-Elect: 5th Circuit (Kershaw, Richland)
120 Stonebrook Dr, Blythewood, 29016
3. Dr. Samuel Alston: 1st Circuit (Calhoun, Dorchester, Orangeburg)
251 Myers Lane, St. Matthews, 29135
4. Mr. Jim Griffith: 2nd Circuit (Aiken, Bamberg, Barnwell)
144 Highland Reserve Ct, Aiken, 29803
5. Mrs. Lonzena Harry: 3rd Circuit (Clarendon, Lee, Sumter, Williamsburg)
352 Calvary Church Rd, Bishopville, 29010
6. Dr. David Blackmon: 4th Circuit (Chesterfield, Darlington, Dillon, Marlboro)
1106 Pinehurst Dr, Hartsville, 29550
7. Mr. James Stroman: 6th Circuit (Chester, Fairfield, Lancaster)
1018 Stroman Drive, Chester, 29706
8. Mr. Neil Willis: 7th Circuit (Cherokee, Spartanburg)
168 Clear Creek Dr, Boiling Springs, 29316
9. Dr. Ivan Randolph: 8th Circuit (Abbeville, Greenwood, Laurens, Newberry)
250 Noble Estate, Abbeville, 29620
10. Mr. Larry Kobrovsky: 9th Circuit (Berkeley, Charleston)
402 Sea Breeze Ln, Sullivans Island, 29482
11. Mr. Jeff Kubu: 10th Circuit (Anderson, Oconee)
109 Buttercup Trail, Anderson, 29621
12. Mr. Tom Ewart: 12th Circuit (Florence, Marion)
1208 McIntosh Woods Road, Florence, 29501
13. Dr. Danny Varat: 13th Circuit (Greenville, Pickens)
40 Douglas Dr, Greenville, 29605
14. Dr. Rhonda Edwards: 14th Circuit (Allendale, Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton, Jasper)
22 Maple St., Ridgeland, 29936
15. Dr. Thomas Shortt: 15th Circuit (Georgetown, Horry)
85 Bonnyneck Dr, Georgetown, 29440
16. Mr. John Rampey: 16th Circuit (Union, York)
307 Brookside Dr, Union, 29379
17. Mr. Michael Brenan: Governor's Appointee [Serves at the will of the Governor]
1215 Jennings Ct, Columbia, 29204
Read more here about the Smart Snacks policy, and the work we are doing to ensure our kids eat healthier across the state. And don’t forget: contact Kim Chidester once you have sent off your comments!