American Heart Association - You’re the Cure
WELCOME! PLEASE LOGIN OR SIGN UP

LoginLogin with Facebook

Remember me Forgot Password

Be the Cure, Join Today!

  • Learn about heart-health issues
  • Meet other likeminded advocates
  • Take action and be heard
SIGN UP

Yes on Prop B is the Right Choice for Missouri

by Christy D. on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Missourians pay for having the lowest tobacco tax in the country in so many ways. Missouri spends more than $2 billion annually in health care costs directly related to smoking.  We can’t afford to continue on this path.

Proposition B is our chance to break old habits. It would increase the state tobacco tax by 73 cents and generate $283 million every year for investments back into our communities. Missouri has never invested money into smoking cessation and prevention– but Prop B would change that by directing 20 percent of the revenue from the tax to these lifesaving programs. And the other 80 percent would be invested directly into our children’s schools, colleges and universities.

Not only would Prop B raise much-needed money for Missouri, but it would save lives from cancer and other lethal diseases caused by tobacco. With the 11th highest smoking rate in the country, we can’t ignore the impact that this change would have on our health and education.

The money from Prop B will be protected from politicians’ hands, and you won’t pay the tax if you don’t smoke. Voting Yes on Prop B on November 6 is the right choice for me and for all Missouri families.

For more information on Prop B - check out the Show Me a Brighter Future website.

Leave a Comment

Comments (0)

  • Be the first to respond!

[+] Comments