Let's Make Physical Education Part of Every Student's School Day!
Regular, quality Physical Education (PE) in schools is critical to the health and academic success of today's students. With childhood obesity affecting one in three children, more needs to be done to increase physical activity where kids live, learn, and play. Right now, Congress can help improve PE in our nation's schools by passing the Fitness Integrated with Teaching (FIT) Kids Act. Send a quick message today to ask your legislators to step-up for FIT Kids!
The Institute of Medicine recently released a report that reinforced the evidence and need for increasing physical education and activity throughout the school day. The FIT Kids Act would address several of the IOM’s recommendations to achieve those goals by:
• Helping schools implement programs to support evidenced-based physical education, activity, and fitness, and nutrition by promoting activities that increase and enable active student participation.
• Authorizing grants to states to develop or enhance data collection systems so local leaders and parents have the information they need to improve physical education and activity within their schools and communities.
• Supporting professional development for health and physical education teachers and principals to boost students’ ability to learn, and to promote healthy lifestyles and physical activity.
• Including opportunities for parents and guardians to support their children in leading a healthy and active life.
• Providing assistance to schools to provide equal physical activity opportunities for students with disabilities