American Heart Association - You’re the Cure

LoginLogin with Facebook

Remember me Forgot Password

Be the Cure, Join Today!

  • Learn about heart-health issues
  • Meet other likeminded advocates
  • Take action and be heard

My Story: Dina Piersawl

by Anne S. on Monday, September 1, 2014

Dina Piersawl Chicago, IL

I suffered a mini-stroke on January 2, 2004, but my story began a few days earlier during the holidays.  I was visiting my parents in Kentucky and had a nagging headache.  My mother told me that my eyes looked funny and asked me what was wrong - a mother always knows when there is a problem with their children no matter how old we are.

I barely made it through the holidays with my parents, as each day the headache seemed to get worse.  When I returned to Chicago, I felt so terrible I decided to go to the emergency room.  I also felt like a football player was standing on my chest.  Being an ex-athlete, I just knew something was wrong.

Upon arrival to the ER on Dec. 30, my blood pressure was quite elevated so they put a nitroglycerin patch on my chest and left me in a holding room to see if my BP would go down.  My BP remained elevated and the intern that was treating me told me to call my doctor after the holiday.  He sent me home after a couple hours and told me my headache and elevated BP was probably due to ‘holiday stress’.

Once at home, my headache never ceased to stop hurting and that football player was still standing on my chest.  I thought I was going to die.  New Year's Day came and every pain I had was much worse. It was then I knew I needed to listen to my body.

I returned to the same ER on January 2, 2004.  My BP was off the charts, the admitting nurse looked at me as if I was going to die right there on the spot.  I will never forget her facial expression as it scared me to death.  They rushed me to a gurney, cut my shirt off, started IV's, slapped another nitroglycerin patch on my chest and rolled me into this cold, sterile room with this huge piece of equipment that looked like a spaceship.  I was scared to death and wanted my Mama!

The spaceship turned out to be the CAT scan equipment. After the scan was completed, I was taken back to the ER to await the doctor.

The ER doctor came in and asked, "How are you feeling?"  I was like, "you've got to be kidding right?!"  Then he showed me a photo of my brain, which showed the veins.  My brain had a tiny little spot on it.  The doctor explained that I had a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) or mini-stroke.

My first thought was “what?!!  Me?!!  I'm an ex-athlete, this can't be, and I’m in good shape” and on and on.  Then the doctor started examining me and it became very apparent that something was really wrong with the left side of my body.  I could not move my left arm or left leg. Honestly, this scared me more than hearing I had just had a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA).

It took eight weeks of in-house and hospital physical therapy to regain my left side.  In retrospect, I was very lucky.  My stroke was mild and I made a full recovery.  My blood pressure is under control and I am blessed.  I have residual damage on my left side.  It's not as strong as it once was but that's minor in the scheme of things. 


Leave a Comment

Comments (1)

  • Good out come,knowing the signs of a heart attack, cardiac arrest and strokes with prompt medical attention makes the difference between life and death. Thanks AHA/ASA.

    — Nathan T.

[+] Comments