The Greater Southeast Affiliate Advocacy Team fights heart disease and stroke in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Puerto Rico.
On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 the American Heart Association participated in “United against Childhood Obesity” with 30 organizations at the Georgia State Capitol to rally against childhood obesity.
With Georgia having the 2nd highest childhood obesity rate in the U.S., the event was an excellent opportunity for lawmakers, business leaders and nonprofit groups to come together to share initiatives and ideas in an effort to cut the state’s childhood obesity rate.
The event included speakers such as:
· Lt. Governor Casey Cagle
· Commissioner Bobby Cagle, Department of Early Care and Learning
· Doug Joiner, Safe Routes to School National Partnership
· Senator Renee Underman
· Kathy Kuzava, GA Food Industry Association
· Wendy Palmer, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
· Dr. Jim Lidstone, Live Healthy Baldwin
· Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald, Commissioner of Public Health
It was a great event for an even greater cause, to unite Georgians in the fight against childhood obesity and allow us to offer our children a chance at healthier, happier lives.